Sunday, February 27, 2022

War Sigil Mat

 All,

So I've been showing off my 15mm stuff, and part of it is a new mat I bought from War Sigil.  This is the third mat I've gotten from them, and they are fantastic, very good quality, nice size, decent price, and great texture.  Please understand that what you're about to see is probably going to throw you for a bit of a loop, and it may not work out as well as I'd hoped it would...

So, here's the mat, 6' x 4'.  I know what you're thinking: what the hell is Jack doing on Mars?

Another look.  Yes, it does bear some resemblance to Mars, and I'm sure that's what it's made for, but that's not, of course, what I intend on using it for.  If you look at this picture, you can see it's not as orange as it showed in the first picture.  But it definitely still is orange ;)

A closeup of the texture.  So, what do I plan on doing with it, then?  Stick with me here; I'm not sure if it works or not, but here's my plan.

How about bombed out cities in World War Two?

As you see, the closer you get, the less orange-y it is.  How is it looking now with some building laid on it?  Could it pass as a bombed-out city?

Another look.  Here's the kicker: I've got forces (which I'm scheduled to show you coming up after this post) that are based to go with this mat.  They don't match perfectly, of course (none of my stuff ever does), but they are based for some bricked out, bombed out city fighting.  Hell, even the buildings I've bought/painted myself don't match the mat perfectly. I'd looked at a gray mat and basing scheme, but it was kinda washing out, looked more like snow than rubble.

Another pic.  So having said all that, the mat is here to stay I guess, I've already got it and I've already made three forces for it (with another on the way).

One more look.  When I get to the forces I'll show you what they look like on the mat.

Yeah, an interesting concept with less than perfect execution, but I think that once I throw in some terrain undulation and add in some rubble piles and get the troops on the table it will work.  At least I certainly hope so, I don't know how many "why are the Germans and Russkis fighting on Mars?" jokes I can handle ;)

V/R,
Jack


2 comments:

  1. You have a lot of buildings. I think it looks like Mars but won't once you put on the buildings plus rubble and other terrain.

    ReplyDelete