Monday, February 28, 2022

15mm WWII Germans - Urban

 All,

So, hot on the heels of seeing my Soviets for fighting in urban areas, I present to you their German counterparts.  This is a great looking force, but only because I had nothing to do with it!  As I mentioned in my last post, I'd been messing around, trying to figure out an urban basing scheme, but wasn't happy with anything I'd come up with, and I was talking about it with my buddy AJ and he said he had a great scheme for urban basing.  I'd already painted the Soviets, but all I'd done with the Germans was deflashed them and glued them on bases.  In any case, I boxed it all up and sent the mess to AJ, so in this case, I actually didn't do a damned thing, he painted and based the in their entirety.  And I'm sure glad he did ;)

Here's the whole force, comprised of:
-A Commanding Officer stand
-A Forward Observer stand
-Six Rifle Platoon Stands (consisting of three squads each; I only have enough Platoon Commander -PC- stands for three of them)
-An MG Platoon (three machine gun teams)
-A Mortar Platoon (three 8.0cm tubes)
-An Anti-Tank Gun (ATG) Platoon (three PaK-36 3.7cm guns)
-A Rocket Artillery Platoon (three Nebelwerfers)
-Three 5.0cm Mortar Teams
-Three Anti-Tank Rifle (ATR) Teams

The entire force, minus the two Nebelwerfer stands, is made up of Battlefront metals in greatcoats.

Another look.

The German Commanding Officer, looking like he just stepped out of the movie "Stalingrad."  I love the paintjob AJ put on these guys, and the basing is awesome, too.

Reverse.

The three platoon command stands.

A closeup.

Another.

A different one.

And one more.

The FO stand.

Again.

Once more.

The ATR teams.

A closer look.

A look at his Mauser 98k-armed partner.

A look from above.

The 50mm mortar teams.

Closeup.

And now, onto the rifle stands!  This is my favorite group, firing the MG from a drum while another dude tosses one of those grenade bundles.

Another look.

Another rifle stand, this time with the MG-42 over his shoulder, advancing.

From the opposite perspective.

Another rifle squad.

Reverse.

The MG Platoon.

The MG-42 on a tripod, looking vicious. 

Other side.

From behind.

Ugh, look at that blurry-ass Mortar Platoon...

A closeup.

Another.

Hmmm, didn't get a pic of the entire ATG Platoon, just he closeups.

Opposite.

And from behind.

Much like going with the 120mm mortars instead of 82mm mortars for the Soviets, I'm not quite sure why I went with Nebelwerfers for the Germans, other than I probably had a spare couple lying around...

A closeup.

Opposite.

A squad laying down fire with its MG-42 as another advances the gun.  Not too bad looking, right?

Anyway, that's my German force to square off against the Soviets, in what I hope conjures up visions of Stalingrad.  The mat purchase was definitely a gamble, but I hope it works, and I'm scared to mess with trying to put any colors on it to mute the orange, I'd probably completely screw it up and destroy the mat and be stuck with nothing that comes close to approximating a bombed-out urban environment that matches my basing scheme.

In any case, one more set of urban-based troops to show you.  Actually, two, but the second isn't finished yet, so stay tuned!

V/R,
Jack


4 comments:

  1. Great looking unit, all ready for Stalingrad, Berlin or any of the city fights in between.

    Cheers, Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are fantastic. Looking forward to seeing them on the table if, sorry I mean when, you actually play a game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're hilarious, Travers, hilarious! ;)

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete