Wednesday, August 3, 2016

From Nothin' to Somethin' in No Time Flat

All,

So I decided to get into African Imagi-Nations, and fight a series of wars between two countries, starting in the 1950s and coming all the way up to the present.  And I wanted to use different equipment pretty much every time; quite an expensive undertaking.  Unless you go with 3mm.  I look around and was inspired by Thaddeus, Bishnak, and Tinpot Revolutionary; they're great work in 3mm convinced me I could do this.

So I popped a quick order off to "The Johns" at Picoarmor for two congruent armies and air forces, and received it two days later.  Picoarmor has always been fantastic and extraordinarily quick, I highly recommend them!

Here's what about $75 looks like.

Upon closer inspection...

Doesn't look like much, does it?

But it cleans up nice.  This is not all of it, just the tanks and troop transports for each side.  You can make out Fireflies at top left, T-34/85s at top right, M5 Halftracks at bottom left, and Studebaker trucks at bottom right.

Seen again, this time with a Peter Pig 15mm troop nearby to show some scale.

Here's the whole mess, all cleaned up.  Now I will admit to cheating a bit; each side also has four fighters, but I already had suitable models in my possession, didn't need to order them.

Here's where they're going.

Here's how they look on their bases, 115 in all.  The aircraft were given magnets.

Then I glue them to popsicle sticks.


Then out to the garage to prime them.  I use the Krylon camo paints; green and khaki here.


Paint up a few test patterns.

Then pick the best one and finish them off...

Here's what the Matata force will use.

And the Hakuna force.

Got a lot going on this weekend...

Paint up the rest of the forces, give them their washes, throw some flock on them...

And voila!  Two armies, ready and rearin' to go.  Total time spent from opening the package to taking this finale pic was about six hours.  I'll post closeups soon.

V/R,
Jack

15 comments:

  1. That is damn quick Jack! Great work too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sir, that's the beauty of 3mm! Two opposing armies in a mere matter of hours, ready to go. Amazing isn't it? And you see there's no magic to it. Clean'em up, stick'em to pennies then popsicle sticks, spray prime'em, give'em a strong wash, then pick out a few details with the brush (or a toothpick, which is what I mostly used).

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
    2. No magic?! I dispute that! I think there is in your ability to carry it through ... all too often I find my attention has wandered away & instead of assembling the new stuff when I arrive, it becomes another false summit on the lead mountain ...

      So keep going & I might (eventually!) get shamed into doing something myself! :)

      Delete
    3. Nah, I'm just too dumb to quit ;). But don't misunderstand, I've got plenty of unpainted lead for projects that have fallen by the wayside. You guys just forget them because I snow you with new projects ;)

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
  2. Spray > wash > star/roundel > flock? Lovely :)

    Having just done a load of Irregulars 2mm blocks for pike & shot era, I am very much approving of the scale and the quick paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it man, and voila, two forces ready for the table.

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
    2. It's got to be the way forwards :D

      Delete
    3. I know! I've been daydreaming lately of re-doing everything in 3mm. It's not that I don't like the larger scales, it's just that 3mm is proving so much easier, in every way.
      -painting and basing
      -much, much cheaper
      -table setup/takedown time
      -storage
      -I can play sitting down (for my damn aching back)

      I'm trying to wait, hold back to see if it's just a fever that will pass, but it's seeming pretty cool right now.

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
    4. I suspect any new periods for me will be in 2mm, possibly 3mm but having to buy in packs of 15 if I only want a couple of vehicles is very annoying!

      For anything pre-WW2 it's off to Irregular for me ;)

      Technically I'm duplicating some mid-late C19th stuff for BBB, but that's really adding odds and sods to existing, I suppose...

      The ridiculous ease of painting combined with very decent results for a "gaming distance" battle is awesome. Four pike and shot armies in a couple of nights? Yes please!

      Delete
    5. "having to buy in packs of 15 if I only want a couple of vehicles is very annoying!"

      I'm thinking the same - I wanted a couple of M577s for an HQ and now have 15! But then I thought at 3mm you get 15 mini's for less than 1 15mm mini - so I felt a bit better after that!

      Delete
    6. I know it's still not back breakingly expensive, but it's more the annoyance factor :)

      Delete
    7. Hmm, that kinda stinks. Over here we're spoiled, I can buy 3mm singles, groups of three, five, or the whole pack. Sorry fellers.

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
    8. Odd, considering we're closer to source! Guess Marcin & Fighting Fifteens don't want the hassle?

      Delete
    9. Toxic P, Did you know that Magister Militum are selling them now? at the moment they're at £3 per pack while F15s are £3.30

      Delete
    10. No, I didn't! 10% off is not bad, but I'd still like single models. Might ponder for future possible projects...

      Delete