Wednesday, December 21, 2022

WWII Royal Marine Commandos

 All


How 'Bout some Royal Marine Commandos?

I've been wanting to play some Commando games in WWII, but I didn't have any commandos, so I decided to remedy that.  I bought them painted from a dude in China, but I wasn't a fan of some of the color choices so I ended up doing quite a bit of painting myself.  Oh, and they came element-based, but I was thinking to do skirmish gaming with them so I pried them off and stuck them to pennies, before deciding I'd rather they were element-based and prying them off the pennies and putting them back on FOW-style bases.  Which needed to be done anyway so I could build desert and temperate forces anyway...  So I built two different forces, then had a spare Mortar and MG team which I tried to base in a 'middle of the road' scheme that could be used for either, but they turned out too dark (the two bases at top center)...

Here is the desert force.  Both forces consist of a CO, XO, 3" Mortar, Vickers MG, two PIATs, a 2" Morar, and eight rifle stands.

The same view of the temperate force.

The two extra weapons stands.  They don't look quite as dark up close.  Let's get to some closeups.

Here's the desert command stand.  Pretty sexy, no?  Good figures, well proportioned, with nice weapons and poses, and those beautiful green berets.

Lots of Tommy Guns for these guys.

A better look at the whole desert force.

Closeup of some rifle stands.  You can see a prone sniper figure at top center (behind the lounging NCO); I didn't have enough figures, so I had to use him as just another rifleman to round out the rifle stands.

Another closeup, see a Bren Gun in this one.

A look at the desert Vickers MG and 3" Mortar team.

The two PIAT teams.

And the desert 2" Mortar team.

I suppose we'll now do the same for the temperate Commandos.  Their command stand.

Another look at the command stand.  I like the RTO at left.

A broader look at the temperate force.

A close look at some rifle stands.

Another.

The MG and mortar teams.

The PIATs.

The 2" Mortar team.

And another look at the 'mixed' MG and mortar teams.

No comments:

Post a Comment