Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Painting Weekend

All,

So, for all you kind souls out there that actually read, enjoy, and respond to my batreps, I greatly appreciate it, and I apologize.  I apologize because I didn't get any gaming in this past weekend.  But don't let that make you think I didn't get anything wargaming accomplished; quite the contrary, actually!  Like many of you, I presume, I have roundabout 8 million different wargaming projects lying around, in various stages of completion, with more pouring in from the mailbox on a regular basis.  This past weekend I was upstairs in the War Room, cleaning up the remnants from my "Tears of the Sun" campaign (over on the Cuba Libre blog) and pondering my next move, when... Well, there's no other way to put it, I was simply overcome with aggravation and frustration at all the crap scattered about.  My initial intent was simply to work on a couple things, then get some games in on Sunday, but once I got some momentum going, I couldn't quit, and so I worked through two whole days of knocking stuff out.

And here's what I (mostly) got done!  Little monkey hands were quite busy playing with Daddy's stuff, but not so much with helping to assemble and paint ;)

So I finished up some 10mm Modern stuff, almost exclusively from Minifigs UK.  You might recall I had a bunch of 10mm Modern stuff, then sold off pretty much all of it, and now I've returned.  I just couldn't stay away...  The big reason I sold it off was because I had a tremendous amount of stuff completed, but I hated the basing, and it was simply too much to rebase.  I do not intend on replacing everything I sold off, but I have noticed I keep buying more and more...  So, what did I finish up?

Well, here we have a store-bought attack helo, a Eurocoptor Tiger, and behind it is a 10mm Israeli force.

Then I have two Pumas.

A BMP, BTR, and T-72 for my bad guys.

An AMX-10RC and two VABs.  If you're not figuring it out yet, this is a French Foreign Legion force for Africa.

The bad guys have three Technicals, two with 12.7mm HMGs and one with 106mm recoiless rifle.

Some closeups of the Israelis, with bad guys ("Arab Insurgents," in Minifigs' speak) behind them.  I'm much, much happier with the thinner bases, though I'm not sure if I should put some grass on these or not.

More Israelis and Insurgents.

And the Israeli weapons stands (from left to right: 81mm mortars, MMG, SAM, and ATGM).

On to the Insurgents, proper.

Again.  Above them are some French recon stands.

And one more, with French SOF above them.

A look at the French SOF (Minifigs US SF or British SAS, I don't recall which).  My plan for the FFL is to have a task force with 'regular' infantry and weapons, some direct action types (the SOF), some reconnaissance and surveillance types, some mechanized troops (the AMX-10RC and two VABs, with more on the way), and some air assault troops (the Tiger and two Pumas).

The R&S troops, which are Minigs' Vietnam-era Australians.

Again.

Here we get to the French 'regular' infantry weapons stands, at least some of them.

And the rest, with the French command stand (as denoted by having three guys on it) at far right.

Some French line infantry.  I absolutely L-O-V-E these sculpts, wish someone would make some in 15mm, updated a bit (which is to say, just add some NVG mounts on the helmets and optics on the weapons), for my skirmish gaming.

Some more.

And the end of the French line infantry.

And now on to the civilian population ("Arab Civilians").

And the rest.  Dig the dudes chillin' out with the hookah.

Okay, next project.

How about some 15mm WWII stuff from Battlefront, with a bit of Eureka thrown in?  Two forces ready for some skirmishing!  On the left we have Italians, while on the right we've got a bit o'throw another shrimp on the barbie.  I'm sure my buddies Jimmi and Shaun are saying "about time Jack got to some real men." ;)

First up is the Eureka Italian MG team.  A good sculpt, though it doesn't quite fit.  These are paratroopers, not regular infantry (fucieleri).  I really like the Eureka Italian paratrooper sculpts, I'm just not sure what I'd do with them.  In any case, I need a machine gun team.  ONE machine gun team.  This is part of what I hate about Battlefront's method of business.  It's been a couple years now that I've needed one US Airborne .30 cal MG team (prone), but they only sell them in platoon packs, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna spend almost 20 bucks to get one MG team...  So I went to Eureka, but Eureka only has Italian paras and Besaglieri; I went with the paras.

Again.

And then on to the Battlefront Italians.  Good looking dudes, nice proportions, just a little boring in their poses.  I'll say the same thing about their Australians, which is a little bit of a letdown, I'm usually pretty happy with my Battlefront purchases.  Not sure whether to put some grass on these guys, either.

Again.

And one more, of the back.

On to the Aussies, we have a Vickers MG from Eureka.

Again.

Decent sculpts, a little soft on detail.  My guess is these are older models; all the other WWII and Modern 15mm I have from Eureka are extraordinarily crisp.

Moving on to the Battlefront Aussies.  We start with the bittersweet: on the one hand, this cat with the Tommy Gun, whom I've adorned with a big, beautiful mustache, is my favorite of the group.  On the other, he's the only damn figure with a Tommy Gun!  That really burns my ass.  In any case, I'm preparing to embark on a campaign following this bunch of Aussies, and he's going to be my platoon sergeant.

Backing out a bit, you see the Plt Sgt, a rifleman, and the 2" mortar team.  I'm not in love with the fact the mortarman is carrying it, I'd rather he was kneeling or lying down with the weapon deployed.

Here you've got some riflemen, the AT Rifleman (I think that Boyes is actually a bit smaller than in real life!), and the platoon commander is at bottom right.  I believe he'll be "Leftenant Paul Hogan." ;)

Some more rifleman.  Again, the proportions are good and chunky, well detailed, but a bit samey and lacking in motion/excitement/drama.

More riflemen, with two section leaders at bottom.  I do like those poses, and I like that there's a good mix of slouch hats and helmets.

More riflemen, plus the Bren gunners at center/right.  I don't like that the bipod is folded forward on the helmeted Bren gunner; I know it was done, it just doesn't look right for me.

The two riflemen at top are the only ones that don't look right, their heads are bit small, no neck.

More riflemen.

And Paul, stoking the boys up, Webley service revolver at the ready.

The next batch...

My 6mm Shermans were already completed (used in my Blood & Guts Tunisia campaign, along with the German Panzer IVGs); they're here because I got tired of dealing with the fiddliness of turning, and keeping track of, tiny 6mm turrets, so I glued them.

But I did add some stuff: the US Army was the proud recipients of some M-10 Wolverines.

The Germans got a Tiger (just one, top right), and a platoon of Panthers...

The 'old' Panzer IVs are at far right, then I added some Stug IIIHs and some Marder IIIs.  This lot could quite conceivably carry me through the whole war with my Blood & Guts saga.

I got some more Peter Pig WWII Marines finished up.  Well, almost finished up.  I still need to get them on pennies and grass them, like the guy at left.

And I did up some US vehicle riders.

And I finally got some bespoke German casualties (bottom right), and some to use as other bad guys (desert Germans, desert Italians, and Japanese).

The Germans (Peeter Pig Early German Dead).

And the other casualty figures (Peter Pig Afrika Korps Dead).

And then, spurred on by my buddy Steve Whitesell ("Sound Officer's Call" blog), I did up some terrain!  Everything is from Novus Design studios except the jungle huts at left, which are from my buddy Jimmi at Flashpoint Minis.

First up is a concrete pillbox, with removable roof, which will get used right away in my Sicily campaign.  This is the front.

And the rear.

With the top down.

A couple supply dumps from Novus Design.

Again.

And one more.

A wooden bridge.  I'm very proud of this one, how it turned out.  I'm not very good at dry-brushing, and I certainly don't have the patience for it, but I gave it a shot and I'm very pleased with the look.  It's funny that it got here at all; I bought this about a year ago, took it out to the garage to spray prime it, dropped it, and broke it.  It sat there for quite some time before I finally got around to making the necessary repairs.  My only problem with this thing is that it's pretty big; it looks to me to be more on the 20mm side than the 15mm side, but it'll be okay, I'm just worried about using it for my 10mm troops (I usually use 15mm terrain with my 10mm stuff).

Again.

Another.

And one more.

Alright, the same time I bought the bridge, I bought some Eastern Front houses.  Again, not particularly skilled with the dry-brushing, and I probably overdid it a bit on this one, but I'm happy with the look.

Shut the front door!

Out back, chopping some wood.

Oh wait, I guess that other one was the back door...

And with the roof off.

The next building.  So I dry-brushed the walls, fence, and chimney, but I block painted and washed the roof and dirt.

The rear.

Other side.  Looking here, I'm kinda wishing I would have dry-brushed the chimney...

The front.

With the top off.

And my last house (for now).

The back door.

Other side.

The front door.

And with the roof off.

My new hootches from Jimmi.  Got these done up right quick, received on Saturday, painted and washed on Sunday.

Another look.

And one more.

Oops, a sneak peak of a bunch more 10mm vehicles, primed and waiting patiently for their paintjobs.

Some pots, urns, and shrines from Flashpoint (Jimmi, if you're reading, what do I do with that roof there?), as well as some 15mm Montagnards to do up.

More 15mm Novus Design goodness, the train station, primed.  I do have a problem though: if you look at the 2nd floor insert, it's badly warped.  How do I fix this?

And here's the 15mm Novus hotel.  At right is a bunch of bamboo and trees from Flashpoint, still in the bag.

**UPDATE: I got all the Flashpoint jungle based up.  I need to paint the two shrines (bottom left and bottom right), and flock the bamboo and tree bases.

Some trees.  I used Flames of War bases.

One of the shrines.

And the real reason for my order: some bamboo!!!  It looks awesome, I can't wait to get it on the table!!!

More trees and bamboo.

The other shrine.  Okay, they're pretty much identical, and some work to do.

But look at that bamboo!

It was kinda a pain in my ass, but man it looks good.

And one more.

Man I got a lot done, but still so much more to do.  But don't worry, I'll be playing some games this coming weekend and posting the batreps ASAP, just not sure where I'm headed.  I'm ready to start my Aussies in North Africa, I'm ready to start Blood & Guts in Sicily (to include some armor vs armor games using Treadheads, from my buddy Steve/Wolfhag), I need to finish KG Klink in Fall of France, I want to get back to Cuba Libre in Cronistria for a faux-Market Garden concept I've been thinking on, back to South Leon for my 10mm FFL troops above, back to South Leon for some more 15mm SOF stuff, aaaaaaaaahhhh!!!

V/R,
Jack

21 comments:

  1. Jack, that is a ton of work and all looking good. The scales is a difficult thing, but I think once you get helicopters on the table, nothing looks quite so good as 10mm, for terrain per footprint you can do a lot with 6mm groupings of buildings and for skirmish 15mm has some good human character. Why am I painting two 20mm vehicles … Oh Dear! :-)


    I wonder sometimes whether any of us are happy with our basing. I am partway through a medieval project and have changed basing twice!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norm,

      Thanks a bunch! I agree, I think basing is just one of those things; today it looks good, tomorrow you hate it. And 10mm is definitely my sweet spot for company-level gaming. As you mentioned, you can get helos, plenty of vehicles on the table, and still see what the infantry are doing.

      But what the heck are you doing with 20mm tanks? I tried 20mm for a couple projects; some really beautiful toys, but it’s too big ;)

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
  2. Wow! You probably have a factory in the basement with a crowd of Chinese who paint miniatures around the clock! I am amazed! great work !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, that’s not a bad idea ;). Thanks!

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
  3. Crikey Jack, that's a shedload of progress for one weekend! Nicely done sir!

    As for the warped floor, I'd ask the supplier - to my mind they should replace it for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks buddy, and that’s interesting, it hadn’t occurred to me to reach out to the manufacturer, I’ll have to give it a shot. I normally wouldn’t, but it’s pretty damn bad. I was hoping there was a simple way to get it reasonably flat...

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
  4. That's a lot of goodies for a weekend. More like a month for me, assuming I was off work and the family were on a cruise somewhere! Excellent work. All looking great and looking forward to seeing what scrapes they get themselves into.

    Cheers, Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy,

      Hey man, thanks for stopping by! If it makes you feel any better, the wife is definitely not my biggest fan right now. The Minister of the Interior has warned the Minister of Defense regarding the recent uptick in usage of time and funds...

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
  5. Quit it, Jack! You’re making me look bad!!!! Dude, they look awesome. Can’t wait to see the battles they will fight in. Keep up the amazing work, brother. The Novus stuff looks outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve,

      Shoot, I’m just trying to keep up with you, man!

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
  6. Busy as always! I do like the thinner bases on the 10mm stuff too. I'm looking forward to reading some AAR's when the FFL and bad guys get to grips. Always impressed by your enthusiasm...keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim,

      Thanks man, and yeah, I think the thin bases are 200% better looking. I can't wait to get some games in, and I'll get them posted up as soon as possible, though I can't promise that first up will be the FFL dudes. And even if it is, the FFL will be under the guise of my Cuba Libre campaign.

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
  7. By my standards, you did two years of work in one weekend!

    What is the building made of? if it is resin, you might be able to heat it with hot water or a hair drier and get it to settle in its original shape. Might have to boil the water, to get it hot enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irish,

      Hey buddy! Two years!? I know better, I saw that massive cliff project you pulled off! Pure awesome. Not sure if the building is plastic or resin, probably resin, I suppose. I might have to try the hot water treatment, though that kinda sucks since I already primed it...

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
    2. Hmmm, not sure how it will affect the primer. I have used a heat gun to fix bent resin gun tubes that were painted, and the paint wasn't harmed. I think the paint was Testors' enamels in that instance, so there might be hope.


      If it is plastic, you risk over heating and shriveling up the plastic, be careful with it.

      Delete
    3. No sweat with the primer, I can fix that later, and thanks for the tips man!

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
  8. Hey, I ALWAYS get the last word in around here! ;)

    V/R,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Jack

    (yes, I little while to get around to this post but I am getting close to being caught up).

    Firstly, yes, with the Aussies you are finally getting into some proper troops! Forget all the other projects and put them on the table so you you know what is is like to command some real soldiers :-)

    Your output is amazing. I am especially jealous of your terrain. I really want to get more an better terrain but I barely game at the moment :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shaun,

      Of course, blah, blah, blah, shrimp on the bah-bee, blah, blah, that's not a knife, blah, blah the dingo ate your baby. Real soldiers, eh? We'll see!

      I have gotten quite a bit done lately, see if I can keep it going. About to post some more production, stay tuned.

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete