Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Next Ten Old Glory Napoleonic Battalions, Plus Cavalry WIP

All,

I've been slaving away, trying to get my mountain of Old Glory Napoleonic figures painted up, maybe even get a game in this decade.  I've literally got more raw Napoleonic lead than I can count, and I have no end goal in sight (with regards to how many units of various types I want/need to have), but I'm gonna keep charging ahead.  Initially I'm looking at, per side: 6 infantry battalions, two cavalry squadrons, two artillery batteries with limbers, and a CinC and a couple brigade commanders.  I'll also figure out some skirmish bases/units somewhere along the way.  My next step will be to double all that.  So far, I've got the initial batch of infantry done (12 battalions total), and I'm working on the four cavalry squadrons.  Previously I posted my first two infantry battalions (one French, one Austrian); I've now finished up the other ten infantry battalions (five per side).  Let's take a look.

The whole mess, so far: twelve line infantry battalions, six per side, with Austrians on the left and French on the right.

French on top, Austrians on bottom.

Austrians on left, French on right.

French on top, Austrians on bottom.

French on top.

Austrians on top, French on bottom.

Austrians on top.

Closeups of Austrians, you can see some facing colors.

Some French behinds ;)

Austrians.

Again.

Austrian rears.

Again.

French closeups.  You can see the different colored pom-poms.

Again.

More.

One more.

A super closeup of a French command stand.

And an Austrian one.

Now, just for fun I guess, a few shots of my cavalry as work in progress.

Four squadrons, two French at top and two Austrian at bottom.

The first French squadron is a squadron of Hussars.  So far I've only done the horse colors for the French.

Reverse.

The second French squadron is a squadron of Lancers.

Reverse.

On to the Austrians, where their first squadron is a unit of Cuirassiers.  They are almost completed.

Reverse.

And the second Austrian unit is a squadron of Hussars.

Reverse.

Well, that's all for now.  Pretty happy with how everything is turning out, pretty proud of my productivity.  I'm getting there, slowly but surely.  The infantry is really a pain in the butt (just so many), but the cavalry, which I plan on doing only twelve figures per unit, three per base, four bases per squadron, is going pretty damn quick, actually.  We'll see how the artillery, limbers, and command stands go.  I hate painting limbers...

V/R,
Jack

Friday, March 24, 2017

Even More 15mm Modern Vehicles

All,

I completed six more modern Western vehicles.  I say Western as five are US and one is British, though I'll be mixing them together for my Cuba Libre saga, which is about to get hot on some larger fights.  The five US vehicles are one M-1 Abrams and four M-3 Bradleys, all of which are 3D prints from Bashytubits, while the British vehicle is a Challenger main battle tank, which is from Old Glory.

Here are the completed vehicles; the M-1 and two Bradleys are in MERDC, while the other two Bradleys and the Challenger are in a sort of desert camo based on this:

I thought it looked cool.

First up is the Abrams.  In my opinion this is a pretty damn good print model.  Some striations from thee printing, but overall pretty damn good, with great detail.  More pics:
Not bad, eh?  I wish I'd have drilled out the barrel though.

Next up are the two MERDC Bradleys.  Please note that these are actually different models than the two desert Bradleys.  Here the quality gets a bit rougher: striations from printing get a lot rougher, particularly on the flanks, though the camo helps cover that up quite a bit.  Detail is a bit soft; the stuff is there, it's just not as pronounced as I'd like.  Worst off is the rear of the vehicle, where the rear troop hatch just isn't there.

Having said all that, I've discussed all this with Bashy and he's working on it, AND, when looked at from gaming distance they work for me and I will be using them in some upcoming fights.

Let me apologize for some of the pics below; the sun came out and threw some nasty shadows...


And here's the Old Glory Challenger.  A good piece of gear, a big hunk of metal after all the plastic I've been dealing with lately.  Pretty good casting, some gaps I should have spent more time filling in, and I glued the damn turret in place...


And now the last two vehicles, two more Bradleys from Bashytubits.  These have some striation from the printing process, but it's much better than the MERDC model.  The vehicle is pretty good, though the rear troop hatch is still missing, and the overall detail is not as good as the Soviet T-62s, BTRs, and BMPs, or the Leopard II and M-1 Abrams.  But, again, I think it looks pretty damn good and they'll be seeing some action soon.

And that's the last pic.

So, more vehicles completed and ready for the table.  For what it's worth, I understand the level of detail on the 3D printed models is not up to everyone's standards.  But they're good enough for me, and I'll soon be proving it by posting some batreps with these vehicles being used.  They are not perfect, but I like them and they look fine (to me) on the table.  As a matter of fact, I read Bashytubits has just finished some British Warrior IFVs and some M-60s; I need to take a look, and pick some up.

Well, I've been in a real painting groove lately, but I've GOT to play some damn games this weekend!

V/R,
Jack