Friday, July 26, 2019

10mm WWII in the Southwest Pacific

All,

Continuing my tear of knocking out more forces for the wargame table, I'm very pleased with myself, this was a relatively big project to complete, for some stuff I'm looking to get on the table pretty quick.  What do we have?  I've got two forces here, Japanese and United States Marines, for the Southwest Pacific, circa 1942, all from Minifigs UK.  If you're thinking you've seen this before, yes, yes you have.  I had previously bought, painted and based these exact forces, but I wasn't happy with them and sold them off a couple years ago, intending on re-doing them more to my liking.  Finally got back around to it, and here they are.

The whole thing, Japanese up top and Marines at the bottom.  I'm a little aggravated that the wash I used turned out a little darker than I was hoping for, but it's still not bad.  I like better now the force structures, the uniform colors I used, the Marines now look right for Guadalcanal, and, most of all, I'm much happier with the basing job.  Each side has an overall 'Company Commander' command stand, three separately based officers (for Platoon Commanders), a Weapons Platoon consisting of machine guns, mortars, flamethrowers, and anti-tank weapons (bazookas for US - though they weren't at Guadalcanal they'll come in handy later - and anti-tank rifles for the Japanese), and four three-stand (squad) rifle platoons.

Additionally, the Japanese have two Type 95 tanks (tankettes?).  So, I just realized that, having sold off a bunch of WWII stuff recently, I created some holes in my USMC order of battle, which I remedied this morning by putting in a quick order with Pendraken.  Amongst other things (for other projects, which I'll post soon), I ordered my Marines a couple M-3 Stuarts and some 37mm ATGs, and got the Japanese a 70mm howitzer and a Type 97 tank.

Enough yakking, let's get to the closeups!

The Marine command stand (top right, with three figures), bazookas (top left), and a couple rifle stands (bottom).  Very simple paintjobs, but I think effective, working for Guadalcanal USMC and US Army throughout the Pacific War.  At some point I'll have to re-do the helmets for the Marines, putting the 'brown-side out' helmet covers on them, but if I put them back plain green like this I think I could use them as ARVN, as well.

Top right are the Marine flamethrowers, top left are the Marine mortars, bottom are rifle stands.  I really like these Minifigs troops; good poses, and plenty of them, good proportions, good weapons.

Top center are the Marine MGs (the Browning water cooled M-1917s), top left you can see an LMG stand (don't really need them, but they were left over), more rifle stands at bottom.

The big Ma Deuce (M2 .50-cal HMG) at top right, the Marine Platoon Commanders at top left, more rifle stands along the bottom.

On to the Japanese.  At top right is their commander, top left are the Japanese flamethrowers, at bottom are rifle stands, the one at bottom right having a 'knee mortar.'

Top center are the Japanese mortars, though it's not a very good look at them.  At top left you can see one of the Japanese MGs, at bottom are rifle stands.

Another look at the Japanese mortars.

The .25-caliber Nambu machine guns, clip fed, more Japanese rifle stands at bottom.

The Japanese 20mm Type 97 anti-tank rifles at top, rifle stands at bottom.

Another look at the Japanese ATRs.

The Japanese Platoon Commanders, with rifle stands along the bottom.

The two Japanese Type 95 tanks, with little Hollywood Japanese flags on them.

Then, for no apparent reason, I decided to give ya some more pics.  The Marines.

Closer look at the flamethrowers, with a rifleman tossing a smoke grenade to conceal their advance.

81mm mortars.

The .30-cal HMGs.

The LMGs, which I think are actually BARs, but I suppose I'm pretending they're M-1919s, if I use them at all.

Marine riflemen.

The big .50-cal.

The Marine Zeros.

Japanese anti-tank rifles.

Closeup of the Nambu MGs.

And the mortars again.

Japanese flamethrowers.

And their commander.

This all feeds into my WWII in the Pacific blog:
https://oldleadbreed.blogspot.com/

Before I can get to the invasion of Guadalcanal (7 August 1942), I've got to play a bunch more dogfights: the Army squadron fighting from Australia and moving up to New Guinea, and the Navy squadron fighting through the Coral Sea and Midway.  But I'm working up to it, so stick with me!

My next post will be on Monday, back over on Cuba Libre, more modern dogfighting over the skies of South Leon.

V/R,
Jack

4 comments:

  1. Excellent work Jack. You make 10mm kit look so easy.

    Cheers, Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy,

      It's not me, it's the 10mm stuff. I keep trying to tell you guys, but you keep messing with your 15mm and 20mm ;)

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete