Sunday, June 16, 2019

Getting Closer to Caen

All,

Yes, I'm still alive.  Real life has been a real bastard, not much time for wargame-related stuff, but I am making progress.  Ever so slowly...   I've been re-doing infantry, arty, ATGs, buying and painting new stuff from Heroics and Ros to get into some brigade-level WWII action around Caen between Brits/Canadians/Poles and Germans.  Here's what things are looking like these days.

Everything I've got so far.  Allied vehicles on the right, Allied infantry on the bottom center, German vehicles on the left, German infantry at top center.  Everything is very simply block painted and given a wash, the infantry are based on pennies and flocked.

The Allies.  I'd previously based my vehicles a few different ways, finally resolving to leave them without bases.

The Germans.

From left to right: Allied halftracks, Shermans, Sherman 76s, M-36s, and M-10s, Stuarts, various armored cars, and Bren carriers, Allied HQ elements at top right, and Allied towed arty at bottom right.

Closeups of halftracks and Shermans.

More Shermans and self-propelled AT guns.

Recce.

The HQ elements.

Towed arty.

Towed ATGs.  Yes, they're difficult to tell apart from the towed arty...

Allied infantry, various rifle teams, mortars, and machine guns.

Closeups.

Again.

Ahh, some new stuff.  Allied motor transport, prime movers, SP arty, a bunch of Churchills, and a bunch of Cromwells.

M7 Priests.

Cromwells.  I pray I can figure out which scenarios to work them in to properly ;)

Churchills.  Ditto...

How 'bout some German heavies?  Jagdpanthers, Tiger IIs, and Tiger Is.

Pz IIIs, Marders, and a Panther in the bottom right corner.

Buncha Panthers and Pz Mk IV (both G and H models, without and with schurzen).

Better shot of the Pz Mk IVs, some Stugs, and three Wespe SP arty.

More than a couple Stug IIIs.

German recce, HQ elements, and towed arty.

German HQ elements.

German towed Arty.

German ATGs.

Five of the dreaded '88' dual-purpose guns, prime movers, and halftracks.

All the halftracks, including a few engineer variants.

German motorcycle troops.

Closeup.

German infantry, various rifle teams, MGs, mortars, etc...

Closeup.

Another.

Again.

Wow, a bit excessive there, eh? ;)

Anyway, I've still got some unpainted (or primed) lead lying about as I continue to marshal my forces for some massive battles.  Still reading and doing scenario research, but I'm looking to fight from the afternoon of D-Day all the way through Falaise.  No matter how long it takes!

Predictably, I still have too many wargaming ideas kicking around in my pea brain.  In sort of order of precedence:

1.  Finish up my modern tiny aircraft (from Thomaston) so I can keep my Cuba Libre campaign moving along).
2.  Get some new troops to get my Sword of Gideon campaign moving again.
3.  Get back to my WWII tiny dogfighting so I can get my Marines in the Pacific campaign moving again.
4.  I've been reading and it's really given me a jonesing for a bunch of Vietnam: French vs Viet Minh, ARVN throughout the entire war, SOG and Hatchet Force ops into Laos and Cambodia, and Marines in Hue.
5.  I bought "Rebels and Patriots" and I'm really getting bit by American Civil War in particular, but finding myself looking at everything from FIW to AWI to War of 1812 to MAW to ACW...
6.  Oh, and Caen, of course ;)

V/R,
Jack

4 comments:

  1. Good to see yo back mate.
    ...and an awesome collection of completed stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Duc, I really appreciate it! Good to know I'm still part of the team ;) And I really enjoyed your "Seven Days to the Rhine" game, too cool.

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
  2. Jack:

    Oooh, aaah! Looking good Jack! Looking forward to seeing them in action. Will Herr Kink and his modernised KG make an appearance in this campaign? I hope you enjoy the games and if your boy participates I hope he overruns his old dad's positions and sends him packing!

    Cheers mate, and good gaming.
    Rod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rod,

      I answered you over on TWW, but I couldn't let your subversive comments here go unacknowledged ;)

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete