Monday, January 15, 2018

An Embarassment of Riches

All,

Well, fresh off my wargaming haul from Christmas (which you haven't even seen yet!), I just got my birthday haul in the mail!  Two separate orders: one from Novus Design Studios, which cleverly ran a 40% off sale after Christmas that I just couldn't pass up, and the other from Pendraken in the UK, purveyor of fine 10mm miniatures.  This is the order that is my big project for 2018 that I've mentioned cryptically to a few of you (and inadvertently told one of you!).  I'll show ya a couple photos, and it's up to you to put the clues together and take your guesses as to what that project is (a hint: the Novus Design order has nothing to do with the Pendraken order, so don't get wrapped up around that).

The Novus Design, all in 15mm for my skirmish gaming, already unboxed: a bombed out building with shot-up train in front of it, three Russian houses, two supply dumps, two roadblocks, and a wooden bridge.  And a medium-sized, heavy-ass box.

A closeup of the Novus Design stuff.  Pretty cool, joining a sizeable collection from them.  Lots of work ahead of me getting these ready for the tabletop.

The big mess from Pendraken, unboxed, all dedicated to a single, massive (for me), project!  If you can't tell, I'm a bit excited.  Lots of work ahead of me for this, too...  What's in there?  Tanks, APCs, Recon, Command and Control, Mortars, Anti-Aircraft guns, and a whole bunch of infantry.

Just the tanks, ten per side.  What are those tanks?

T-62s and M-60s.  If they look a little goofy, it's because the tracks are separate from the hulls and I haven't cleaned them up or glued them yet, just kind of stacked them together.  The APCs are BTR-50s and M-113s.  So, what is it?  What's my big project?  The boy and I will be playing reinforced company-sized fights on a 6' x 4' table using a modified version of the Lardies' "I Ain't Been Shot Mum" rules.

Coming up as soon as I can get them painted and based ;)  I do have some modern skirmish batreps from Cuba Libre to share with you in the interim, post them as soon as I can.

V/R,
Jack

8 comments:

  1. 1970's Cold War gone hot would be my guess. Nice kit from Pendraken. Those buildings look great as well.

    Cheers, Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, yes, thank you everyone, even for the ‘uauuuu’ Wink

    I figured there would be plenty of guesses for Arab-Israeli/Yom Kippur as that would seem to be most reasonable, what with the M-60s vs T-62s and BTR-50s, but I don’t think M-113s are a great fit.

    Cold War Gone Hot is much closer, but still not what you think: I’m going earlier, probably mid-60s, and this ain’t happening in Europe... The damn Soviets have managed to pull off a full-on invasion of the United States, Red Dawn style!!!

    So we’ll not be fighting in the Fulda Gap or to cross the Rhine, we’re fighting to save Kentucky (I know, who would want to save Kentucky?) or to cross the Mississippi!!! The Soviets will be coming down through Canada in Washington and New York, up through Mexico in Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona, and have nuked California and DC! I’ll be running a mechanized fire brigade dashing from enemy breakthrough to enemy breakthrough while the boy commands the (evil) Red onslaught.

    V/R,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to this one! Those Pendraken tanks are nice...I have some Scorpions and they're fab.

    ReplyDelete