Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Peter Pig 15mm Modern USMC - Temperate MARPAT

All,

And here is the second post in my blogpost festival.  These are Peter Pig 15mm Modern US Marines; I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do with them with regards to gaming, but they will see the table sooner rather than later as I absolutely love these figures and I've got too many ideas for modern campaigns.  Awhile back I painted up a few test figures: one in Temperate Marine Pattern (MARPAT) camouflage, one in Desert MARPAT, one in Arctic clothing, and one in Desert Tri-Color cammies with green gear and body armor.  I solicited comments on the look of the camo... and received none, so I went with what I thought looked right, and so here we are, a platoon (roughly) of Marines in Temperate MARPAT.

The whole force, 23 Marines with various weapons and poses.  I bought one set of each: standing rifle, kneeling rifle, signalling M-203, firing M-203, moving M-249, firing M-249, AT4, one of the leader packs, and a pack of Navy Corpsmen.  I divided them into four equal groups (with a couple spares) and painted them up.  I wish I'd bought more so I would have done larger platoons, but these will work.  The concept I'm working with is a single platoon of Marines that I'll follow through adventures in temperate, tropical, desert, and arctic climates.

Let's get to the poses.

A three-man command section of (left to right) radioman, Corpsman, and platoon commander.

An M-203 gunner and a SAW gunner (all these will be left to right).  Check out that camo (I'm VERY happy with the look).

Rifleman in the off-hand position, rifleman with AT-4, and another rifleman.

M-203 gunner and SAW gunner.

Rifleman, rifleman with AT-4, and Designated Marskman (M-16A4 with ACOG).

Rifleman pulling smoke grenade out, M-203 gunner, and SAW gunner.

Two more riflemen.

M-203 gunner and prone SAW gunner (I hate prone figures, but I didn't have enough SAWs to not use them).

Two more riflemen and the guy at right is a Designated Marksman with his rifle slung across his back.  I have only minor quibbles with these Peter Pig troops, but that's one: there are only a few DMs included, so to have one with his rifle slung is a bit aggravating.  But I'll get over it, and the force as a whole is just amazing, I'm so happy to have these guys painted up and ready to go.

Well, that's all until tomorrow.  Let me know what ya think, and I'll keep working on writing up these batreps.

V/R,
Jack

6 comments:

  1. You've really got the pattern and colours nailed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great Jack. I meant to post a comment on your test figures, which looked superb. I was tempted to do some cold weather versions myself.

    Cheers, Andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words. Now to get them on the table...

    V/R,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking great and you did an excellent job doing camo in the little blokes, without making it a muddled mess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic level of detail at such a small scale - and it works!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Ivan and Duke, I appreciate it.

    The camo took a long time, but I'm very happy with how it turned out. The desert MARPAT still looks slightly off to me, but it's close enough and it works. I'll probably post them in a couple days.

    V/R,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete