Wednesday, December 21, 2022

15mm German SS

 All

Waffen SS

Yes, I know they are evil, and yes, I know some wargamers find them so repugnant that they don't wish to even wargame with them, but I'm a historical wargamer and they're part of history, so while I abhor Nazi ideology and all the atrocities that went with it, I see no problem with owning them and playing with them.  Hell, I've already played wargames fighting Al Qaeda, the Taliban, ISIS, Imperial Japan, the Soviets, and modern Russians, none of whom are any less evil, in my humble estimation.

So I have this force and I'll look forward to getting them on the table, just like any of the other enemy forces I play against.  I'll primarily look to use them for the brutal fighting in Normandy and during Market Garden; they certainly have their place on the Eastern Front, as well, but I can't say I have any campaign plans to see them in that direction.

These were all painted for me by my buddy AJ, who's quite the talented artist.

The whole force, consisting of:
Commanding Officer stand
4 x rifle platoon (Platoon Leader and three rifle stands)
1 x MG Platoon (Platoon Leader and four MG-42 stands)
1 x Mortar Platoon (Platoon Leader and six 8.0cm Mortar stands, the short tubes)
1 x ATG Platoon (Platoon Leader and 3 x PaK-40 7.5cm anti-tank guns)
1 x Infantry Gun Platoon (Platoon Leader and 2 x leIG18 7.5cm infantry guns)

A closeup of the German commander.

Reverse.

The four rifle platoons.

A closer look at some of the rifle stands.

Again.

And once more.

How 'bout a closeup?

Another.

And one more.

Organic crew-served weapons.

Closeup of a tripod-mounted MG-42.

Another.

Closeup of a mortar team.  I love the fact the dude feeding rounds is double-fisting it ;)  You can see the short tube on these sculpts.

Again.

The attached gun platoons.

A closeup of one of the PaKs.

And one of the howitzers.

And one more to close it out.

Pretty cool, AJ really did a fantastic job painting and basing these guys.  When will I find the time to have the Canadians grind these fellas to dust in and around Caen?



13 comments:

  1. They are lovely and way better than my 15mm Germans 🙁 totally agree I am happy to game all the baddies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Matt, hope all is well! Yep, gaming the baddies is necessary, but don't you get to lying to me about these looking prettier than your 15mm troops, I've seen them and they are marvelous!

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
  2. They really look the part, Jack! Love the mixed helmet covers and smocks. Looking forward to seeing them on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Steve, good to 'see' you! I'm also working on Cold War stuff, just in case anyone was thinking of running a campaign in Fulda Gap or something ;)

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
    2. I just finished up the actual map and campaign rules, too. Just need to get the lead out.

      Delete
    3. Awesome, can't wait! I've about got US and Soviets ready, working on Brits and West Germans.

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
  3. You are an institution, Jack. Your buddy must be going crossed eyed after painting all of these SS troops. Are you gearing up for some Flames of War Normandy action?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Randall, hope all is well! An institution, eh? Moving up in the world ;) Yeah, I've done plenty of pea-dot camo, it was time to outsource the cross-eyedness ;) Plan #1 for these is definitely Normandy, followed by some Market-Garden, and maybe someday they'll see action on the East Front, where I can let bad guys slaughter bad guys ;)

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
  4. NEVER bow to the woke Jack! You don't even need to explain why you made a Nazi force. You're an historical wargamer. Somehow, justifying your creation is necessary??!! HUH??!! In my opinion, don't even bother to ask forgiveness from the mentally ill Woke Brigade, just do your stuff! You have mentored me in my projects before (under a
    different Google overlord account) and I have great respect for you and the US Marine Corps and what they did in Iraq and many other battle fields. Thanks Jack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam,

      Thanks man, I appreciate the support. I'm still hoping to see you get back to your USMC invasion of Cuba with those great 20mm figures! Regarding Iraq and Afghanistan, yeah, I'm proud of what we did while we were there, but it sure hasn't turned out to have mattered much...

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
  5. Jack, sorry to post here, but I am putting a campaign up on the blog and I know last time my e-mails got caught in your spam. Please delete this post once you have seen it.

    ReplyDelete