Friday, April 1, 2022

More 15mm WWII Soviet Heavy Metal

 All,

The gears of war continue to grind slowly forward.  Over the past couple months I've picked up quite a bit of WWII Soviet gear and wanted to document it, so here you go.

The whole mess:
-11 T-34/85s
-9 IS-2s
-1 KV-2
-1 T-34/7
-20 sets of tank riders

A closer look at the tank riders.  As you see, everything is completely painted, I just need to touch up a few things.  

The IS-2s.  The ones in front are the new Battlefront plastics, the ones in rear are the old Battlefront metal and resin models.  They seem to fit surprisingly well together.

And the T-34/85s, all the old Battlefront metal and resin models.

The KV-2 is plastic, not sure of the manufacturer, while the T-34 is all metal, not sure of its manufacturer either.

A closeup of some plastic IS-2s.

Again.

Very stern looking.

And the metal/resin models.

I think this TC has suffered some sort of injury ;)

The T-34/85s.  A lot of these had barrel problems in shipment, I did what I could to fix them, only one has a droopy barrel.

Some closeups.

Another.

This poor devil done last his head...  I'll have to remedy that.

The KV-2.

Again.  Yeah, only one; I can really only see using it in smaller, skirmish-type games, so I didn't want to have too many of them.

The guy I bought the T-34/85s from lost one of them (i.e., there were supposed to be 12, not 11), so he threw this in, in addition to discounting for the missing tank.

Again.

Cross of Iron, anyone?  I like it, they look mean.

A close up.

Another look.

Pretty cool.  And I'm super amazed by the dude I bought the tank riders from; who needs 20 sets of tank riders???  Pretty incredible!

And on some IS-2s.

Well, just wanted to document some additions to my WWII Soviet forces, thanks for looking.  I'm trying to keep the gaming ball rolling this weekend, despite very limited time, though I think I may have an innovative solution.  The older boy has won both of my 'Battle of Biazza Ridge' fights, and his little brother keeps complaining that the Germans have tanks, so I'm thinking to run a hypothetical counterattack by US infantry with armored support (there was no US counterattack in real life because the Americans didn't lose Biazza Ridge), which would mean I can use the same table for a third straight week.  Yeah, kinda cheesy, but would save me a bunch of time.

Anyway, more to come!

V/R,
Jack


14 comments:

  1. "who needs 20 sets of tank riders???" Hey Jack - the standard Soviet rifle company in Flames of War is a whopping 28 stands, with a "reduced" option of 19 stands. From personal experience in the game, it's very difficult to pin and assault that mass of humanity without lots of firepower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also- I love the armor. There is something very cool about the IS-2 tank. It's one of my favs from WW2!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Activision's there Jack! Besides taking up room, do you have any plans for them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shaun, not sure I'm following, what do you mean "Great Activision's"?

      And you're not funny! I got another game in this evening, how 'bout you? ;)

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
    2. auto correct and I obviously did not spot it. Great acquisitions I meant to say.

      I have games (plural) planned for this afternoon but I think yard work will take priority. So I think you will be playing more games than me!

      Delete
    3. Ahh, I see. I got another game in this past weekend, just haven't had time to type it up.

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
    4. And I got in a quick WW2 A4 page battle on the weekend. Also in the middle of writing it up

      Delete
    5. Excellent! If it's true ;) We all know how sneaky you Aussies are, so I'm afraid I must insist on some proof...

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
  4. Any table getting multiple uses means more time mustering new units, like tanks or tank riders. Wonderful additions for later WW2 forces!

    ReplyDelete