Monday, July 5, 2021

Some Blogging/Wargaming Stats

 All,

You may be aware that I've recently completed a bunch of different 15mm forces, and after playing so many squad-, platoon-, and company-level fights, I'm finally looking at playing some higher-echelon games, probably brigade-level fights.  I've mentioned looking at Rapid Fire Reloaded, Field of Battle WWII, and even a modified version of Fistful of Lead.  I received a comment here on Blackhawkhet that asked why I was looking at using different rules than my old reliable 5Core sets; this caused me to do a little (navel gazing?) thinking on how many fights I've actually played (at least since I began recording them), what rules I've used, and how often.  So, if you're interested, here ya go:

My inaugural blog post was 12 August 2013.  I began wargaming in 2009, and played my first games during the Christmas holiday of that year, then got in a lot of games in 2010, 2011, and the first month of 2012, usually two per weekend, cramming more in on holidays.  I played some Crossfire, some Cold War Commander, and a whole lot of Force on Force, I Ain't Been Shot Mum, and Bag the Hun.  I played a few games at a FLGS, some with friends and in-laws, but most of all I played with my father.  In early 2012 my old man was diagnosed with cancer, which caused us to stop playing, and by August he was dead.  I had all this wargaming gear but no one to play it with (my oldest boy was only 3 at the time, the youngest not yet born); and though I wanted to play, I didn't really feel like interfacing with anyone.  

Well, at least not face to face.  But I was hanging out on the internet, and there were some really helpful folks that got me started in solo wargaming and blogging, and this blog was the result.  The inspiration to play and blog came from these guys (in no particular order):

-Shaun Travers and his solo gaming in map drawers showed me that it could be done, and the idea that if you don't like something about a set of rules, then you should just change it, showed me how to go about getting where I wanted to be.
Shaun's Wargaming with Miniatures (shaun-wargaming-minis.blogspot.com)

-Joe Legan and his Platoon Forward system gave me a framework for surprising myself whilst playing solo, and his character building and following helped me understand what I wanted out of solo gaming.
Platoon Forward

-Ronan was just a joy to talk to and read, constantly playing and posting.  I mean no disrespect when I say this, but his tables and minis were not the greatest.  They were small forces on small tables, with simple terrain, not going to win any modelling or painting prizes, but he was just playing and playing and playing and posting it for all of us to read, and he was having so much fun doing it that it made me stop thinking about it all and just jump in and start playing.  Even though some of you laughed at my buildings, walls, and emplacements simply spray painted khaki, and my hills made of cut up carpet ;)  Those were some of the best games I've ever played, and that's when I met most of my wargaming internet buddies online, just playing and posting and people enjoying them.
2 Dés à 6 faces (2d6.fr)

-Jeff Butler - This guy came up with an alt-history idea he called "The 6mm Republic of Prussia," and my whole Cuba Libre blog and concept is nothing more than a rip-off of what he did.  It breaks my heart to know this, but it looks like he deleted the blog...  He was the one that came up with (or at least the first one I was aware of) a modern 'imagi-nation' that fit in with the rest of the real world, using small forces with named characters that you followed through multiple deployments, tracking their promotions and awards for valor.  This concept of gaming is literally what drove me to create a blog, play games, and post them, despite what my wargaming hobby has now grown into.

-And special mention to all the guys over at the Pendraken forum, who are too numerous to mention by name, but were so helpful and encouraging., literally teaching me how to start a blog and post stuff on the forums.
Pendraken Miniatures Forum - Index (pendrakenforum.co.uk)

So I continued to paint and post stuff, and I began playing solo games and posting the 'battle reports,' or batreps, here.  I soon outgrew this blog, branching off, until reaching a whopping five blogs, including this one.  Here's what I've got:

-Blackhawkhet, the flagship, where I post all my painting projects and stuff I'm selling, as well as batreps that don't fit in the other blogs.

-Cuba Libre, my modern alternate history blog, where a 2nd Bay of Pigs invasion was carried out in 1989 and this time they succeeded in overthrowing Castro.

-Island Hopping with the Old (Lead) Breed, devoted to WWII in the Pacific,

-Little Lead Crusade in Europe, devoted to WWII in Europe, North Africa, and the Med.

-Sword of Gideon, devoted to the Israeli Defense Forces in the various Arab-Israeli Wars.

Throughout the various blogs I have posted a total of 839 times in the past (almost) eight years; 362 of those were miscellaneous posts, such as campaign plans, unit rosters, silliness like this, pictures of completed forces (everything from 3mm to 20mm), and items for sale, and a whopping 478 of my posts are batreps, about 59 fights per year.  Not bad, eh? ;)

But the point of the post was to take a look at the games I've played and the rules I've used.

Regarding the 5Core question, I've played 477 games since August 2013, and 259 of those used 5Core rules (either Five Men in Normandy, Five Men at Kursk, or 5Core Company Command).  That's about 54% of the games I've played.  Forgive me as I didn't separate out the 5Core rules, but here's a breakdown:

5Core: 259 games
Battle of Britain: 49 (very simple dogfighting rules, I found them last year and absolutely love them)
Some Corner of a Foreign Field: 21 (I was a playtester for Matt; he then sold them and I believe they are now called 'Danger Close')
Lacquered Coffins: 16 (nice rules, but I wanted even quicker)
KR-16: 14 (free rules by Michael Stockin, written for Sci-Fi but easily brought to WWII or modern)
Blitzkrieg Commander: 13 (these and Crossfire were the first rules I bought in 2009)
No End in Sight: 11 (another set of rules by Ivan, in addition to the 5Core sets)
Chain of Command: 10 (a nice set, but I have trouble with them solo)
I Ain't Been Shot Mum: 9 (I really like these, but they take me forever, usually 6-8 hours, so I don't play them as often as I'd like)
Bolt Action: 9 (these rules get a lot of grief from grognards, some of it well deserved, but my opinion is that this activation system is as good, or better, than anything else out there)
SOF Warrior: 8 (a set by my buddy Ben Lacey, these are kind of my go-to rules for modern Special Ops stuff, they do a great job at showing the qualitative difference between modern SOF troops and rabble, such as AQ or Taliban)
Squad Hammer: 6 (another damn set by Ivan!  These were a lot of fun, but not good enough to supplant his 5Core rules)
Combat Patrol: 6 (these were pretty doggone cool, but they just took too long for me.  I've had that same problem with all platoon-level sets that use singly-based figures, come to think of it)
Ambush Alley: 5 (I went old school and played five fights in Cuba Libre using the original rule set.  Lots of fun, but took too long)
One Hour Wargames: 4 (my older boy and I played some quick, fun Napoleonic games, not sure why we didn't keep it going)
What a Tanker!: 4 (I had big plans for these, and they were kinda fun, but I found myself in some very weird situations, even playing in 6mm)
Hell Hath No Fury: 3 (I had big plans for these, too, and they were a lot of fun, but just took too long)
Naval Unity: 3 (I liked the activation system so I took a Sci-Fi skirmish game and turned them into a WWII naval game)
Black Ops: 2 (Two???!!!  I can't believe it's only two!  I've got to get back to these, those two games were incredibly fun.  But they do take a long time...)
Nuts!: 2 (I had fun with these but, like Crossfire, I know lots of people that like them but I just can't seem to find the rhythm and get them to work)
Pz8 Dogfighting Rules: 2 (I used these a couple times and they were too simple for me, then along came Battle of Britan, which is pretty much the same thing, and I fell in love. I think it was BoB's campaign system that set me over the edge)
Crossfire: 1 (yeah, only a lonely playtest game with my older boy, still couldn't get it to work)
Black Powder: 1 (I really like the rules, just don't have any figures painted and based up for it)
Unity Field Agent: 1 (Holy crap, how many games has Ivan put out? These look nifty, but are skirmish rules and weren't going to move me off 5MAK)
Battlegroup Normandy: 1 (I know a lot of folks rave about these rules, and there's nothing wrong about them, but just not good enough to move me off some other sets I like.  I will say this: the Battle Rating and chit-pull for random events mechanism is pretty damn cool)
Final Combat: 1 (this set of rules is the WWII version of SOF Warrior, and I actually got to play them with the author, Ben, and his buddy, Roger, on the nicest table, and with the nicest figures, I've ever played on/with)

In case someone actually goes and adds them all up to see if the numbers match, they won't.  There are several cases where I tried to write my own rules (naval, skirmish, and dogfighting), playtested them 2-4 times, and none of them worked.

Further breakdown:

Modern Battles: 281
WWII Battles: 191
Napoleonic Battles: 5

Air Battles: 67
Land Battles: 407
Sea Battles: 3

Well, not sure anyone else will care about this, but it was cool to catalog everything for myself, and it was a great stroll down memory lane.  I hope you enjoyed it.  Rest assured I am going to play some games soon ;)  Man, I tell ya, I have been on a painting terror lately, just kicking stuff out left and right, and I'm so used to using all my spare time to get some painting or basing in that it feels strange if I'm not, even if I'm working to try and get a game in!  Add that to the 'one more thing' bug (that is, "I'm going to start a campaign here, but I just need this one more thing before I'm ready") and it's been tough to get going, but it's coming, I promise!

V/R,
Jack

22 comments:

  1. Jack, this is a fascinating accounting of what you have been accomplishing over the years. The number of games played is amazing. What is even more astonishing is the number of terrific battle reports you create. Think how many more games would be added into your totals if you did not document each game so carefully. Don’t stop the BatReps, though. They are fascinating works of fiction in their own right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I didn't think anyone would actually read this!

      Thanks Jonathan, and yes, I'm sure I'd have a lot more time for gaming if I didn't take so many pics and type them all up, but don't worry, I'll not stop. Cataloging the games and sharing them with my buddies is part of the attraction of my solo wargaming.

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
  2. Echoing Jonathan and interesting analysis. I fear keeping such records isn’t my thing. The important thing is enjoying your hobby which hopefully you are 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, and I spend so much time on the batreps to make up for them not looking as good as your tables! ;) And yes Sir, I absolutely enjoy the way I'm doing my wargaming.

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
  3. Jack,
    Wow, looking good! I hope you look on these stats with much pride as they represent work, treasure, and time spent. You may not know this or realize it but many of us look to your blog or blogs as motivation for us to get our butts in gear, so please keep it up. Bet you didnt think when you were looking at those other guys' blogs listed above long ago! You are blessed to have, and to have had wargamers in the family.

    Also really looking forward to your thoughts on RFR! Rules are a funny thing, and the more you know about a particular subject, the more difficult it becomes to find rules that suit your taste. I am envious of the converts who play 40k and go straight to Bolt Action or FoW and have the time of their lives doing it. I'm always looking for the "right" set of rules that I'm totally content with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, thanks man, I appreciate it. And know that time and treasure part is true! ;) And you're too kind, that my blog(s) could help inspire other folks to game and post is the highest praise I could ask for. And indeed I am blessed to have a couple junior wargamers coming up.

      And you're absolutely right how rules are strange from the aspect of how they do, or do not, strike your fancy. For example, a guy asked me if I was going to play a certain set of rules with all these 15mm guys (5Core Brigade Commander), and I wrote back that I wasn't looking to use the rules with these guys as those rules are 1 stand=1 company and I see them as a 6mm set, but at the same time I'm thinking to use these 15mm dudes with Field of Battle WWII, which is also 1 stand=1 company, and I can't really explain why it feels okay for this one but not that one. It just does ;) So strange...

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
  4. Actually, I find this to be a fascinating post. The scope and quality of what you do is just amazing, and tremendously inspiring with respect to my own gaming. There are times I come to your blog, lost in whatever is dragging me away from the hobby, and the next thing I know, I'm immersed in your post, and then I'm back downstairs immersed in my own.

    Thanks man, you keep me on mission.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian, I appreciate it! And hell, don't talk to me about scope and quality, your giant African imagi-nations fights/campaign is incredibly inspirational!

      Wargaming should be an escape, I'm happy that I've been able to help!

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
  5. It is fascinating to read through the rules you have tried and your quick summary take on them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is an amazing number of battle reports. I actually thought it would be more :-) I manage to play about 1/2 per year what you do but it feels like 1/10th! And the number of rules you have played is amazing as well. Your output is prodigious. While you started with skirmish and company sized battles and hankering for the larger battles, I started at a supported battalion on a table and slowly over the years I have been working my way down to lower echelon games, mainly because of your blogs. I am even campaigning because of you! Blame or reward, your choice :-)

    Platoon Forward is a hidden gem - I don't think I have played a WW2 game in the last 2 years without using it to generate the battle.

    I am glad I was an inspiration and being part of the wargaming blogging community as you know is very rewarding. I started in the map drawers purely for convenience - a place to leave games setup that 2 children under 5 could not get at. And it was in the main room where the family hangs out. But it has been so much fun it is still going strong!

    I do remember the carpet hills. I did not mind your terrain - you play with what you have and it was on par with mine. Now yours is better :-)

    And on the rules front, I have grappled with continuing to use RFR for 20mm but for the last few weeks I have been looking at Take Cover again and all the mods I made to it over the years (2001 one, 2004, 2005, 2009, early 2011, late 2011 etc!). May go back to close to the original and play some games.

    Oh, and I did setup another map drawer a few months ago for SF skirmish but strangely enough did not like any of the rules enough to play and am modifying some until I get to what I like :-)



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shaun, you thought it would be more!!!??? ;) I'm doing what I can ;) And you could definitely stand to play some more games, particularly WWII ;) And I'll happily collect my reward for getting you into 'proper' wargaming via campaigns ;)

      As we've talked about previously, you absolutely were part of showing me this could be done, and your WWII stuff and tinkering with rules has been a constant source of inspiration, so get off your butt and keep it going!

      The map drawers is pure genius, and my stuff hasn't got anything on your 20mm tables! I need more WWII, Operation Jupiter in 20mm on the ping-pong table, 6mm Brits in Normandy, 6mm Eastern Front, all of it. Please ;)

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
  7. Fantastic analysis Jack - looking forward to your thoughts on RFR ...and Field of Battle ww2 - now that will be an interesting analysis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darren, I appreciate it, and I'll get to them ASAP, just gotta break out of my painting streak.

      V/R
      Jack

      Delete
  8. Archive.org's Wayback Machine has an archive of The 6mm Republic of Prussia at https://web.archive.org/web/*/6mm-prussia.blogspot.com. Looks like his last post says it moved to https://wargamer1972.blogspot.com/ which seems to be active.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie, I’d never seen that ‘way back’ thing before. Not the most user friendly thing, but kinda nifty nonetheless.

      And yes, Jeff said he migrated the 6mm Prussia stuff to that blog, but I can’t find any evidence of it there.

      Thanks for your help!

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
  9. Wow Jack, that's a fascinating recap. And all because I asked "why not FiveCore Brigade Commander"? Really? It doesn't take much, does it? No wonder you're so prolific. I'll have to be more careful what questions I ask in future or you'll never find time to get a game in. Best regards, Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, and absolutely, you set a lot of things in motion with that one simple query! ;) No need for caution Sir, ask away!

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
  10. I've always enjoyed your blogs. You are the master of AARs! My modern ImagiNation worlds were inspired from Michael Murphy's Bongolesian world and Irish Serb's Mugabia-Uwanda War. There was also a website, long gone, that had a Modern ImagiNation campaign going on at some gaming club in England. They gave me a lot of ideas for converting civilian vehicles into technicals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, you’re too kind! Yes, Bongolesia seems to be everywhere, and Irish’ extravagant setup for Uwanda/Mugabia is fantastic!

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
  11. Jack, could you email me at lecoqfou at gmail dot com? I am a big fan of your AARs and ability to craft additional rules for the 5core engine, I was hoping to ask you your thoughts on handling ambushes and asymmetric warfare. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete