Thursday, March 26, 2020

KG Klink Mini-Campaign in Greece, Map Moves for Turns 1 and 2

All,

Well, here we are, getting my mini-campaign in Greece started.  So far I've spent about five hours getting everything ready, and my map moves took longer than I expected, lots of figuring to do!  But let me show you how things are looking so far.

Prior to Turn 1 beginning, I decided a few things:
1) The Germans would come on in two waves.  The 1st wave consisted of 1st Schutzen, 2nd Recon, and 1st Recon, from left to right.  The 2nd wave, consisting of 2nd Schutzen and the Panzer Battlegroups, would wait patiently off-table and arrive on Turn 2.
2)  Three Allied units would start known, and the rest would not.  The three known locations were, th Australian 2nd Bn, 8th Infantry Regiment at the major urban area of Ptolemaida, the armored reserve, 4th Hussars, was to be centered in the last third of the map (D7), and the Wellington Company (which I'm treating like the last ditch effort, lots of 'riflemen' drawn from the cooks, bakers, and candlestick makers, but not much in the way of heavy weapons and no armor), would be at the overall objective, the Servia Pass (E8).
3) I then split the remaining five Allied Battlegroups into a frontline (Royal Engineers/New Zealand Cavalry, and the New Zealand 27th Machine Gun Battalion) and a 2nd echelon (British Rangers of 9th KRRC, "Lee Force," and the New Zealand 21st Rifle Battalion).
4) I took the two units in the front line, mixed them in with four dummy markers, and covered the entire top row.
5) Then I took the remaining three units, added a bunch of dummy markers, and placed them semi-randomly in rows 2-6.
6) Then I decided where the German lead echelon would come on, and moved them in, then flipped over all the Allied markers, to see what was what and what was where.

And lo and behold, there are no fights in the Turn 1!!!  As you can see in row 1, none of the German 1st echelon came onto the board in contact with any of the (two) Allied front line units.  So now I had to figure out what the hell I was going to do; actually, I already knew what I was going to do and how I was going to do it, now I just needed to exercise it.  So, I'm not going to do this for every turn, because it's kind of a pain in my ass, but here's the process I went through:

I started with the Germans, and mapped out their moves:
1.  1st Schutzen will move from A1 to A2
2.  2 Recon will move from C1 to C2
3.  1 Recon will move from F1 to F2
4.  2 Schutzen will move into C1, from off table (unless the Allies go crazy and attack into C1, which will fix 2 Recon in place, delaying 2 Schutzen's entry onto the table)
5.  Panzer will move into E1

Then on to the Allies:
1a.  Royal Engineers/New Zealand Cavalry will fall back to B2 on a 1-6
1b.  Royal Engineers/New Zealand Cavalry will hold on 7-9
1c.  Royal Engineers/New Zealand Cavalry will move to C1 on a 10
THEY ROLLED AN '8,' SO HOLD
2a.  New Zealand 27th MG Bn will fall back to D2 on a 1-6
2b. New Zealand 27th MG Bn will hold on a 7-9
2c. New Zealand 27th MG Bn will move to E1 on a 10THEY ROLLED A '2,' SO FALL BACK TO D2
3a.  New Zealand 21st Rifle Bn will move (B2/D2/C3, depending on what its neighbors do; I would allow them to cross the river into C3 as they don't have any vehicles, nor much in the way of heavy wpns, plus they're theoretically more familiar with the area since they're defending.  This would only have been necessary if they, the RE/NZ Cavalry, and NZ 27th MG Bn all fell back simultaneously) on 1-6
3b.  New Zealand 21st Rifle Bn will move to C1 on 7-9 (an attack!)
3c.  New Zealand 21st Rifle Bn will hold on a 10
THEY ROLLED A '4,' SO MOVE TO B2 SINCE ROYAL ENGINEERS/NEW ZEALAND CAVALRY HELD IN B1
4a.  "Lee Force" will hold on 1-7
4b.  "Lee Force" will advance to F3 on 8-10
THEY ROLLED A '7,' SO HOLD
5a.  Australian 2nd Bn/8th Inf will hold on 1-9
5b.  Australian 2nd Bn/8th Inf will advance to D4 on a 10
THEY ROLLED A '10,' SO ADVANCE TO D4
6a.  The British Rangers will hold on 1-8
6b.  The British Rangers will advance to B4 on 9-10
THEY ROLLED A '10,' SO ADVANCE TO B4
7a.  4th Hussars will hold on 1-8
7b.  4th Hussars will advance to D6 on 9-10
THEY ROLLED A '3', SO HOLD
8a.  The "Wellington Company" will hold on 1-9
8b.  The "Wellington Company" will advance to E7 on a 10
THEY ROLLED A '3,' SO HOLD

If you can't tell, what I tried to weight the dice towards was the Allied front line falling back and the NZ 21st Rifle Bn holding fast, so that the three Battlegroups would form a solid defensive line, and then all the other Battlegroups just sort of hung out to see what develops.

And here's what it looks like.  We have a fight in Turn #2!  Yeah, just one, but a fight, nonetheless!  And I have no concerns on that account; due to the troop density, we will undoubtedly soon reach a point where multiple fights per turn are unavoidable. In any case, the Allies' Royal Engineer/New Zealand Cavalry Battlegroup held fast, and Captain Freitag's 1st Schutzen Battlegroup moved east into B1, so stand by for action!

We'll have this on the German side:
1st Grenadier Platoon - PC, 50mm mortar, ATR, and four rifle squads
2nd Grenadier Platoon - PC, 50mm mortar, ATR, and four rifle squads
Weapons Platoon - PC, 2 MG-34, and 2 80mm mortars
Assault Gun Platoon - 3 Stug IIIs with short 75mm gun

Versus this on the Commonwealth side:
Armored Car Platoon: 3 x A/C
Engineer Platoon: PC, 3 x Engineer Squads
Weapons Platoon: PC, 2 x Vickers, 2 x 3” Mortar

Coming right up.

V/R,
Jack

8 comments:

  1. Nicely thought out jack. This is the year for obvious reasons that more of us might like to run and enjoy a campaign while spending more time isolating. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Norm, I appreciate it. I can't take credit, it was Peter's idea. And yes, solo campaigns should be the order of the day for the forseeable future!

      I hope all is well, and I'm looking forward to more of your Tigers at Minsk/Caen fights.

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
  2. Looks good so far. And it also seems the fights are going to be at a more manageable level than the last Klink games with a company or less on each side.

    And I cannot wait until the two Aussie forces kick your arse :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shaun,

      Thanks buddy, and yes, these fights were with a company per side but were much faster, between one hour for short games and two hours for long ones, literally averaging about an hour and a half.

      "And I cannot wait until the two Aussie forces kick your arse :-)"
      The cool thing about playing the bad guys is that I wouldn't mind. But I have some bad news...

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
    2. "Rigged I tells you. Rigged."

      And glad those 5 hour games are behind you. I have no idea how you survived after so many short games.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, probably ;)

      I didn't mind them. It's okay to do for a short stints, and I was doing it to help a buddy out with his campaign. I'm hoping we do another one soon.

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
  3. Superb stuff Jack.
    Really great campaign ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Darren, I appreciate it! First fight coming right up.

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete