Saturday, September 8, 2018

New Crescent Root Buildings and HR Bare Metal

All,

Yesterday afternoon was Christmas in September.  I was waiting (not long, mind you) on two sizeable shipments, one from Crescent Root Studio, and one from Heroics and Ros, and wouldn't you know it but both arrived on the same day!  So I figured I'd post a few pics, take a gander.

The Crescent Root order: three of the new Middle East buildings, several of the new industrial red-brick buildings, a few platforms, ramps, and some accessories.

The centerpiece, looking great and waiting to be battled over.  All the roofs come off except the bottom right one.  They also have internal floors, three in the main building, though I'm not sure how I'd get my hand in there to manipulate 15mm troops.

Next building, again with removable roof and internal 1st and 2nd floors.

Two more buildings on the L-shaped platform, also showing a ramp.

Another large building on a platform with ramp.

And the last building (bottom center), on a platform.

And the accessories, various crates, sacks, and barrels.  Cool table litter to hide behind and fight over.

The first Middle East building, itsy bitsy.  Unfortunately it's small enough that the roof doesn't come off.  But it's a cool little setup to add to the table.

A little bigger Middle East building.  Damn, I forgot to check this one to see if the roofs come off!  Might not, seeing how small the buildings themselves are.

And the hotel.  The roof does come off, and I apologize, I meant to take pictures of the back side of this one as it's a multi-faceted building.

In any case, fantastic stuff, can't wait to get them on the table.  Moving on, my WWII Caen project continues to progress, I received the rest of my necessary implements of battle.

Here's the whole mess of unpainted lead, about $130 bucks worth, including shipping.

The Brits got some Universal ("Bren") Carriers (top right), some prime movers (just left of them), some armored cars (top center), some trucks (top left), and some Shermans (bottom).  I thought I ordered Fireflies, but nope, I checked, I ordered regular old Shermans.  Which makes sense, I guess, I certainly needed more Shermans, but this means I must have told myself that I'll just use the US 76mm Shermans as Fireflies.

Moving on, the Brits get more halftracks (bottom center), and some Churchills.  The only problem in the whole order is here: I'm missing two Churchill turrets, so I put Cromwell turrets on them (top left, the bottom two).  I think it will work fine.

EDIT: I SCREWED UP, AND I HUMBLY APOLOGIZE TO THE GREAT FOLKS AT HEROICS AND ROS.  THEY FILLED THE ORDER PERFECTLY, TO A 'T,' I SIMPLY PLACED THE TWO 'MISSING' CHURCHILL TURRETS ON CROMWELLS, FIGURED IT OUT WHEN I WAS CLEANING UP THE MODELS LAST NIGHT!

And last up for the Brits are a bunch of Cromwells (top left) and a Typhoon.  Regarding the Cromwells, I need to get this figured out.  My understanding is that the entire 7th Armored Division had Cromwells, while only the Armored Reconnaissance Regiments of the other tank divisions (4th and 11th?) had Cromwells, the rest of their tanks being Shermans.  So I need to figure out how the Armored Reconnaissance Regiments fit into the scheme of my fighting.

On to ze Germans.

The Germans got five of the dreaded '88s', some motorcycle troops, some engineer halftracks, some Sdkfz 222s...

Some Panzer IVHs (to go with the IVGs I already have) and Sdfkz 251s...

A bunch of Panthers...

Some Sdkfz 7 prime movers, then a few monsters: three Tiger IIs and three Jagdpanthers.

Plus a bunch of extra tits for the trucks, an extra Sherman turret, and an extra Cromwell turret!  Better to have too much than not enough.

Anyway, just a quick update, more to come.

V/R,
Jack

4 comments:

  1. Great haul, I take it those last two turrets should have been the missing Churchill turrets? Those Crescent Root buildings are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, not sure what I was thinking, ordering so much stuff not at Christmas or my birthday ;)

      The Crescent Root buildings are great, I love them, and regarding the Churchills: I screwed up!!! My apologies to HR, but I was wrong, they filled the order perfectly, I had placed the two missing Churchill turrets on Cromwells, didn't realize until I cleaned them up last night!

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
  2. That reminds of the hours I spent reading the Heroics and Ross lists when I was young planning what I would buy and what the models might look like. Those buildings look wonderful what scale are they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,

      Yeah man, I keep finding myself back at HR’s website, drooling a bit. The buildings are 15mm and will see the table soon, hopefully this weekend.

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete