On a quick admin note, I just wanted to throw out that this battle report documents my FIFTIETH (50th) table-top game using Nordic Weasel Games' "5Core Company Command" rules. They sprung out of Ivan's "Five Men In Normandy" rules, and I was fortunate enough to have played a small role in bringing them to light. Certainly they won't be the only set of rules I ever play again, but insofar as we wargamers are always on the search for the "Holy Grail" of rules, I can say that, for tactical games at the reinforced platoon to reinforced company level from WWII to present (and possibly even earlier than WWII), I have no need for rules as I've found them. On to the battle, which is the first of D-Day +2 (D+2), the third day of fighting in the War of Liberation.
It's 0830 on 3 Feb 1990, and tanks of the CLA's 2nd Troop, 5th Tank Battalion, supported by C Company, 3rd Infantry Battalion, have run square into enemy armor of the 78th Tank Company and 70th Motor Rifle Company, 2nd Armored Battalion, just west of the city of Artemisa, on the island's western end.
14) 2nd Airborne Battalion engaged enemy armored forces of the 6th Armored Battalion in the village of El Rincon, en route to the Bay of Pigs landing site.
15) 4th Infantry Battalion's 1st Air Assault Company conducts an air assault southeast of Sandino to counter enemy mechanized forces of 3rd Infantry Battalion (forcing 1st Airborne Battalion's right flank).
16) 9th Popular Force Battalion conducts a spoiling attack on the regime's 7th Infantry Battalion in the Matanzas garrison.
17) 2nd Air Assault Company, 7th Infantry Battalion, inserts east of El Rincon to block the escape of the regime's 6th Armored Battalion.
18) C Company of the UWG fought a running battle in the Escambray Mountains to delay/halt the regime's 12th Mechanized Battalion moving west.
19) A Squadron SOF holds off the regime's 2nd Airborne Company, 1st Airborne Battalion at the Radio Station in downtown Havana, while B Squadron SOF and 8th Popular Force Battalion move to reinforce.
20) 2nd Airborne Battalion, attacks north of Sandino to eliminate the regime's 4th Infantry Battalion.
21) 7th Infantry Battalion, attacks north of Sandino to eliminate the regime's 5th Territorial Infantry Battalion.
22) Colonel Huistrella's Unconventional Warfare Group fight another desperate holding action in the Escambray Mountains, this time against the regime's 10th Territorial Infantry Battalion.
23) The 5th Tank Battalion squares off against the regime's 2nd Armored Battalion just west of Artemisa.
Commander, 2 Troop, 5th Tank Bn: Captain Solar. He will be on table, but will not be treated as a command element, just as one of the tankers.
Commander, C Co, 3rd Inf Bn: Capt Cruze
5th Tank Battalion, Commanding Officer: Colonel Miguel Colavantes
A quick opposed roll, which the Communists win, and it's game time.
Amidst all the smoke and confusion of the mechanized fight, there is suddenly a lull, and T1 and Team 3 are able to rally (random event - 'lull').
That's three burning T-72s and an immobilized and abandoned BMP. Things are not going well for the regime's 2nd Armored Battalion.
Wow, the regime's die rolling needs some work, they're having a rough time of it.
Poor bad guys, their dice no worky.
What was once firmly in hand no longer seems so.
Both sides are pretty damn beat up at this point: the CLA has their Battalion Commander, one operational tank (and one damaged tank), one M-113 (with HMG), and two rifle teams. The regime has its CO, a T-72, and three rifle teams.
CLA: ~20 KIA/WIA, one M-48 damaged, one M-113 destroyed
Regime: ~25 KIA/WIA, four T-72s and one BMP destroyed
Captain Cruze, CO of C Company, 3rd Infantry Battalion, was severely wounded and is out for the remainder of the campaign.
Captain Solar, CO of 2nd Troop, 5th Tank Battalion, was decorated for valor with the Estrella de Plata, for the leadership and courage displayed in 1) placing his vehicle (T2) in the line of the fire of the enemy's norther armored force to protect T1's flank, 2) staying on the battlefield and continuing the fight after his tank was rendered ineffective, and 3) knocking out three enemy tanks (two with T2, one with T3). Also lightly wounded, awarded the Corazon Purpura.
Well, there's one, three more to write up and post!