It's 0615 on 1 Feb 1990, and CLA Special Operations Forces' A Squadron is on the outskirts of Havana (6). Their mission is to infiltrate and destroy a Castro-regime Surface to Air Missile (SAM) battery atop Hill 55, just west of Havana. This mission is in support of B Squadron's upcoming mission, which will see them insert via helo (CLA UH-60s) into southern Havana to seize a radio station later this morning. But this will be no walkover; the SAM site on Hill 55 is guarded by elite troopers Castro's Bodyguard: 1st Airborne Rifle Company, 1st Airborne Battalion, some of the few Cuban troops trusted enough to be be stationed in the capital of Havana.
1) B Squadron SOF destroyed a radar site in support of amphibious landings at Playa Colorada (5). B Sqdn then egressed and linked up with CLA rotary wing assets for their follow-on mission in Havana (6).
2) C Squadron SOF destroyed a the Cuban military's communications center.
3) 1st Para Battalion dropped in and seized a bridge to screen the landings at Playa Colorada (5).
4) 2nd Para battalion dropped in and eliminated a Castro-regime garrison to screen the landings at the Bay of Pigs (just west of (4).
5) 1st Marine Company, 3rd Infantry Battalion, made an amphibious assault at Playa Colorada.
6) B Squadron SOF attacked a Castro-regime SAM site near Havana.
Commander, A Squadron: Captain Stelosavo
On a side note, the CLA have not been firing because they've rolled three straight 'scurries.'
One of the enemy teams in the east (top right) exchanges fire with the SMAW (bottom left), to no effect.
That's great, but overall I'm having some bad luck with the dice, and it's really got me dancing to their tune. That is, they're in my OODA loop, and I'm reacting to them instead of pushing my own initiative. I didn't get to use my HMG truck on Hill 55 because Tm 5 got KOed and Tm 4's been pinned the whole fight, then I didn't get to use my SMAW on Hill 55 because the HMG truck didn't even get a shot off, got forced back by enemy fire.
Good grief, things couldn't have gone much worse for me there.
Just when I'm ready to withdraw, I get a little luck! But then Tm 4 tries to rally, and they run off the map. The HMG jeep rallies, and I also rolled up a random event, but it didn't affect anything. I'm hanging on by a thread; if I can just get the CO and Tm 1 over the damned wire and up the hill I stand a real good chance of pulling this off.
But there is a problem: there will not be a re-fight of this one. There's no reason to, this was a one-off mission to clear the way for B Squadron's aerial insertion, and we've got a problem because those birds are already in the air, on their way to the LZ. We'll see how this shakes out. At this point, A Squadron is re-forming and re-fitting to move into Havana to take on other targets.
Friendly: ~20 KIA/WIA
Enemy: ~15 KIA/WIA
More batreps on the way.